Faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see. Hebrews 11:1

Saturday, September 28, 2013

attitudes, cuts, & welts, OH MY!!

I had my first bump in the road here last week! I can’t pretend that every day is fun and games here because it’s really tough some days. This culture is so different than my personality and if you know me at all you would know how true this is. I am very matter of fact, by the books, focused on rules and every last detail, etc. and that’s just not how life is here. Last week I was getting so frustrated and just needed to take a little break. I was so thankful for the weekend because I needed to recharge and refocus my heart because it was getting off track with God and my attitude needed to be checked.

I am so thankful for the people God has placed in my life at this very specific time. My parents, Cassidy (my roommate), Jesse (my friend), and Tim (my boss) – they all reminded me to focus on the good things, see the good in people, and continue to pray for strength and patience every day. There is so much good in people around here but sometimes I get so focused on the other details I need to be reminded of that! I also needed to be reminded that change here takes time and progress isn’t going to happen immediately. They have all reminded me that God is with me wherever I go and whatever I do. I’m not going to change this culture or succeed at making rules for them to follow – it’s never going to happen. And that’s not why God called me here. I’m here to teach kids about God and show people the love of Jesus. I’m here to worship with them, laugh with them, cry with them, and live alongside them. While doing all of this – I’m reminded daily that God needs to be center of my day, all day long. Remembering that and praying when I want to pull my hair out keeps me grounded and able to see the good in the situations we face. I also made a “friendship” bracelet with two strands to be a daily reminder to me. One strand is to remind me to keep my mouth shut when I want to say “well this is how it should be done” and one strand to remind me to pray about it. God is changing my heart and I have chilled out, but I still need a daily reminder – so this bracelet isn’t coming off anytime soon! J

Tim sent out this quote to all of our MH4H team and it couldn’t have been more perfect for what I needed to hear last week -
                “I used to pray that God would feed the hungry, or do this or that, but now I pray that he will guide me to do whatever I’m supposed to do, what I can do. I used to pray for answers, but now I’m praying for strength. I used to believe that prayer changes things, but now I know that prayer changes us and we change things.” – Mother Teresa

So NOW after my attitude was refreshed - this past week was much better! J The first week of our Thrive for 5 program I noticed this little boy, Lensly, had a cut on his hand. It was like the size of an almond on his tiny little hand and it was fleshy/open, really raised, and looked like it was kind of pussing. It was pretty bad and looked like it had been that way for a while. One day he was sitting in the front row so we called him up to put a Band-Aid on his hand and prayed over it. We had been cleaning it with alcohol pads, putting Neosporin and a Band-Aid on it for a few days and the end of last week it was looking worse. So Monday we continued to do the same thing, and it kept looking the same but we were not sure what else to do. On Wednesday we called Lensly to the front again and took off his Band-Aid to find it looked SO much better! Cassidy and I looked at each other with huge eyes that said to each other, “Woah! Only God could heal this thing!” It honestly looked like it needed much more than just Neosporin and a Band-Aid, but that was all we had. The cut isn’t raised anymore and looks like it is healing properly and almost looks like a scar. God can heal anything and I can see that first hand here! As I said, there’s no way it could have healed that well within a week and a half with just Neosporin, it was a nasty cut! God is the ultimate healer though and He has the power to heal even the worst cuts! All we have to do is trust in Him. J And that’s comforting. We do what we can, with what we have, and God will do the rest!

On Thursday we were riding back from Savanette on the motorcycles and our friend Natao got hit in the shin with a big rock. It was a huge welt RIGHT on his shin and he was in a ton of pain. An ice pack and ibuprofen wasn’t helping so he wanted to go visit one of his doctor friends to see if it was okay but we couldn’t find his friend. So we decided to stop at the hospital and look around for our doctor friends who are in our English class there. We were walking in and praying that we would see someone we recognized! (There are usually 45 in our class and usually no electricity in the room at 6AM so we use flashlights – and it’s hard to see all the faces!) We were walking down the hospital hallway and at the end we see a very familiar face with a big smile waving at us. J We said “We need your help! – Nou bezwen ou ede!” Funny things is we just taught them that saying that morning – I don’t believe in coincidences! ;) All the nurses wanted to help and brought Natao in immediately and checked his leg out, gave him a shot, and wrote him a prescription. We were walking to the pharmacy in the hospital and realized none of us had any money on us because we left in such a hurry. We were saying this to each other and the pharmacist walking by overheard and told us to come anyways. He gave us the prescription ibuprofen for free because we were his English teachers. J The hospital treats missionaries for free anyways, but in this situation we weren’t the ones needing the help, it was our friend – and they were still generous! God was definitely present in that entire situation that day. We found the people and got the things we needed and that was only because of God!

After having such a crappy end of the week the previous week, I feel like this entire week has been so much better! I have been clearly able to see God working here and He is certainly changing my heart to look at the people instead of just the details of the projects we are working on. The children we work with in the Thrive for 5 program are absolutely adorable and they make my job so fun! J Every single day we have more kids that want to hug us, hold our hands, high five us, and just smile at us in general. The parents are warming up to us more and more each day as well. It feels good to be accepted in Pignon and Savanette and begin to grow our network of friends. J God’s doing some big things here and I can’t wait to see where this adventure goes!

Thank you so much for the continued prayers! There are joys and struggles every day and prayers are what we need the most! J
Xxo
Tampico
p.s. below is a picture of Lensly and his hand! :) he's a doll!


No comments:

Post a Comment